There’s a whole load of guides and blogs out there with information on choosing a good mattress. But few of us have time to wade through all the content to find the right one. To make thing’s simple, we’ve combined all the tips, tricks and advice on what makes a good mattress into one handy checklist.
So, without further ado, get ticking down the list to find your perfect match!
What are the Qualities of a Good Mattress?
Firstly, what are the features that make a quality mattress? From materials to health benefits, does the mattress offer any of the following features?
- Generous mattress depth
- Multiple layers of comfort
- Spinal support
- Cushioning top layer of memory foam
- Pressure point relief
- Breathable open-cell foam technology
- Cooling sleep technology
- Hypoallergenic qualities or natural materials
- Removable, machine washable covers
- Durable mattress materials
- Movement absorbing surface
If you can tick at least five features off this list, you’re on to a good start!
Does the Mattress Brand Offer Benefits?
Next, what about the mattress brand you’re buying from? It’s important that you make your new purchase from a trusted company with a reliable record for producing quality sleep products.
Look out for some of the following perks and reassurances...
- A generous warranty (1-year minimum)
- Positive mattress reviews from real customers
- A lengthy 100-night sleep trial period
- Easy and free mattress delivery options
- Transparent returns process
- Factory direct prices
- Interest-free credit
- Price match guarantee
- Made in the UK
- UK safety standards
- Responsive customer service
We offer all of these benefits and more. Get in touch with our customer service team if you have any questions about our services.
How Do I Choose the Right Mattress?
The right type of mattress for you will depend on a wide range of factors, from bodyweight to sleeping position.
Make sure your new mattress…
- Is suitable for your sleeping position
- Is within your budget
- Is compatible with any allergies you may have
- Provides sufficient support for your weight and height
- Offers temperature regulation according to your needs
- Is suitable for any sleep or health issues you may have - back pain, joint pain, arthritis, sleep apnea...
These personalised requirements can really make the difference between a bad night’s sleep and a perfect one, so make sure you cover all bases.
What to Consider When Choosing a Good Mattress
There’s plenty to consider when deciding on the right style of mattress for your sleeping needs. For example, if your partner tosses and turns, you may want to consider movement-absorbing memory foam for a peaceful night’s sleep.
Make sure you’ve considered the following before you buy...
- Mattress type - do you prefer memory foam, pocket sprung mattresses or hybrid mattresses for a mix of both?
- Mattress materials - do you require hypoallergenic materials or Eucalyptus infused fabrics for allergy relief?
- Mattress feel - do you like a medium-firm, firm mattress, or soft mattress?
- Mattress thickness - will the thickness of memory foam provide enough support?
- Memory foam density - is it dense enough for your weight and sleeping position?
- Mattress size - does the mattress fit your bed base and bedroom space?
- Mattress delivery - do you require a bed in a box mattress to help you get it up tricky stairs?
- Mattress care - do you need easily washable covers and minimal care?
- Mattress price - is it within your budget?
- Extras - do you need to add a memory foam mattress topper or mattress protector for extra comfort?
We recommend working through this list (with the person you share a bed with if applicable) before you start browsing for a new memory foam mattress.
Next, we share some advice on choosing a mattress for a specific pain point.
How to Choose a Mattress for Back Pain
If you regularly suffer from back or joint pain at night, your mattress could be part of the problem. Look for the following features in a mattress to ease spinal aches and pains…
- Orthopaedic mattress design
- Medical grade foam
- Optimum body support
- High-density memory foam
- Supportive reflex foam base
- Castellations in the foam for targeted spinal support
- Pressure relief
Orthopaedic memory foam mattresses with these features can provide superior support and cushioning to ease discomfort for better sleep.
How to Choose a Mattress for Side Sleepers
Your preferred sleeping position should play an important role when picking a new mattress.
Side sleepers - lookout for…
- Cushioning memory foam comfort layer
- Soft to medium mattress firmness
- Memory foam and hybrid mattress designs
Find more information in our blog on the best mattresses for side sleepers.
What Makes a Good Mattress for Front Sleepers?
Front sleepers should look for a mattress that…
- Has a medium-firm to firm feel
- Features high-density memory foam
- Provides full-body support
Find more information in our breakdown of the best mattresses for front sleepers.
How to Choose a Mattress for Hot Sleepers
Often wake up feeling hot and sweaty in the night? If this sounds familiar, look for a mattress with the following…
- Breathable open-cell memory foam
- Moisture-wicking fabrics
- Removable, washable covers
- Cooling gel technology
- Eucalyptus infused mattress cover
Our Coolmax memory foam mattresses are designed specifically with hot sleepers in mind. Breathable fibres help to wick away excess body heat and moisture for a refreshing night’s sleep.
Best Mattress Quiz
Still not sure what type of mattress is best? Take our simple mattress quiz to find the right mattress for you.
Or, start browsing our wide range of memory foam mattresses to suit all tastes and budgets.