Think your topper may be past its best? Find out how often to change your memory foam mattress topper to get the most from your mattress.
How Long Does a Mattress Topper Last?
Wondering how often to change your mattress topper? To ensure that you’re getting the very most out of your memory foam mattress topper, you should replace it every year. If your topper is a deep design or isn’t used every night, it will last a little longer and you’ll only need to think about replacing it every couple of years.
How long it lasts will depend on several factors;
- The thickness of the topper
- The amount of weight applied to the surface
- How often it’s used
- How well it’s cared for
- The condition of the existing mattress underneath
How To Make Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper Last Longer
You’re not going to be able to make a foam topper last for 100 years, but with some care and attention, your mattress topper will continue to support and comfort you for a little longer than the 1-year average.
Here are our tips;
- Rotate your mattress topper regularly head-to-foot (try to do this every time you change the sheets
- Wash your mattress topper cover every month
- When you’ve removed the cover, leave the foam interior exposed and give it time to breathe
Why Is It Important to Change Your Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
Toppers are made from the same durable memory foam as our mattresses, however, such a slim layer of memory foam without any base foam below it will inevitably start to dip within a couple of years. A dipping topper does not offer the same support and comfort. So to keep sleeping well with memory foam, make sure you replace your topper every year or so.
How To Change a Foam Mattress Topper
Changing a foam mattress topper is easy.
Memory foam mattress topper installation instructions;
- Once you have disposed of the old one, remove the packaging from your new topper
- Place the mattress topper on top of the mattress and leave to fully expand (if delivered rolled). This can take between 2 to 24 hours depending on the topper
- Once fully expanded, add a mattress protector (optional) and fitted sheet to keep everything in place and minimise sliding
- Sink in, relax and drift off...
Why Do You Need a Mattress Topper?
A memory foam topper or mattress pad adds an extra layer of comfort to your sleeping surface. As well as increasing comfort and support, a good topper can help to prolong the life of your mattress by protecting it from wear and tear. This will save you money in the long term as you won’t have to replace your mattress as often.
A bed topper is also a good option if you’re not quite ready to replace an older mattress. Innerspring mattresses can become uncomfortable over time, and a cushioning foam topper can help to smooth any lumps and bumps. However, it’s important to note - a mattress topper will not fix a very old or broken mattress.
Memory foam comes with a long list of benefits, including cushioning around pressure points, tailored support and hypoallergenic relief.
Choose a Mattress Topper
Memory foam mattress toppers are a brilliant way to add a little bit of luxury to your existing mattress without leaving a hole in your pocket. We make toppers to suit all needs and budgets in our Yorkshire Mattress Factory, including thick toppers and cool toppers.
Start shopping memory foam mattress toppers for an instant comfort upgrade.