Like most things in our homes, the surfaces we sleep on need some freshening up from time to time. According to the experts, we should change our bed sheets once a week to maintain a healthy sleeping environment. But what about our mattresses?
Fortunately, it’s much easier to clean a memory foam mattress than you might first think. And we can show you how.
Why Should I Clean My Mattress?
Never bothered cleaning your mattress before? It may sound like an unnecessary chore, but regular mattress cleaning actually has lots of health benefits.
If you want your investment to last, regular cleaning can;
- Prolong the life of your mattress and save money in the long run
- Reduce dust mites and pollen, helping allergy sufferers sleep well
- Improve your sleep hygiene by removing dead skin cells
- Improve the quality of the air you breathe at night
- Reduce the chance of mould and mildew
- Improve your overall health and sleep
How Can I Freshen My Memory Foam Mattress?
If your mattress just needs a little refresh, there are ways to keep it looking and smelling clean without going to too much trouble;
- Vacuum the mattress with the upholstery attachment to eliminate crumbs and dust
- Use baking soda to rid bad odours
- Open the windows to circulate air
- Wash the mattress cover
How Do You Deep Clean A Memory Foam Mattress?
If your mattress is in need of some serious cleaning, here’s are a few tips to be aware of.
White vinegar works well as a heavy stain remover. Fill a spray bottle with a mixture of water and vinegar or dishwashing liquid to get to work on stubborn stains or sweat patches.
Never use harsh cleaners such as bleach or hydrogen peroxide as it could damage the memory foam.
How To Clean Mattress Stains
If you do accidentally spill something on your memory foam mattress, it is important that you act quickly. As soon as you notice a stain:
- Strip and wash the removable cover
- Lightly spray the area with lukewarm water and a mild detergent
- Gently scrub the stain using a clean cloth
- For spot cleaning, get rid of small stains with circular motions
- As soon as the stain has gone, allow the mattress to air dry in a cool room
How to Eliminate Odour
Strong odours such as pet smells and smoke can linger in foam. To get your mattress smelling fresh and new, try one of the following:
- Use baking soda (find the method below)
- Invest in a citrus-based cleaning product. Spray the mattress with the citrusy product, allow to air dry and then vacuum thoroughly
- Try a famous deodorising product such as Febreze. This firm favourite successfully eliminates and reduces odours
How To Clean A Foam Mattress With Baking Soda
Sprinkle baking soda over the entire mattress and leave overnight. In the morning, vacuum the mattress thoroughly with the soft brush attachment to avoid damaging the foam. The baking soda will neutralise the pH of the odour, effectively deodorising your mattress.
How To Dry A Memory Foam Mattress
If your mattress gets wet for any reason, getting it completely dry as quickly as possible is important.
Our first tip is to clean first thing in the morning, so your mattress has time to dry out before bedtime. If you can, position the mattress in a sunny spot for speedier drying. If not, you can use a hair dryer on a medium heat to speed up this process. Just be careful not to linger on a certain spot or have the heat too high to avoid any damage.
How Often Should I Clean My Mattress?
To keep your mattress in optimum condition, we recommend giving it a good clean about twice a year.
It’s also important to wash your sheets regularly (about once a week) and clean your pillows at least twice a year)
If you are allergic to pollen or spend a lot of time in bed due to medical issues, it may be worth cleaning more regularly.
How to Wash Memory Foam: Common Questions
And finally, we answer a few common questions on memory foam care.
Can Memory Foam Get Wet?
It’s important you don’t get your memory foam mattress too wet as this can lead to mould developing. Instead, use spray bottles and damp cloths to scrub away stains.
Can You Machine Wash Memory Foam?
No! Never put memory foam in the washing machine as you might end up with lumpy foam. Luckily, our mattresses come with removable, machine washable covers for convenience.
Can You Wash Memory Foam Pillows?
Although you should never put your memory foam pillow in the washing machine or dryer, there are ways to keep it clean.
- Vacuum your pillow with the upholstery attachment regularly
- Use the spot cleaning method to remove stains
- Don’t use harsh cleaning products
- If you need to deep clean your pillow, submerge it in lukewarm water and a small amount of gentle detergent. Gently squeeze before rinsing and air drying.
- Change your pillow case at least once a week
- Replace your pillow every three years or so
How to Keep Your Mattress Fresher for Longer
A simple way to protect your mattress from spills and stains is to use a mattress cover or protector.
Every memory foam mattress from the Memory Foam Warehouse comes with an easy-to-remove zipped cover. So, anytime you feel like freshening up your mattress, just unzip the cover, pop it in the washing machine, add some bubbles and bob’s your uncle.
If your mattress cover is past it’s best, you can even buy a replacement one.
Sleep Fresh with Memory Foam Warehouse
Well that’s about it! Caring for your memory foam mattress is not only important for health and hygiene but will also make sure you get the very most out of your mattress.
Has your mattress seen better days? If our cleaning tips aren’t doing the trick, it might be
time to replace your mattress altogether. Put restless nights to bed and browse our collection of memory foam mattresses.