Sleeping disorders such as Sleep Apnea (or Sleep Apnoea) can be a very distressing and upsetting thing to experience. Tiredness and fatigue take a massive toll on your daily life – but don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be this way. If you think you are suffering from Sleep Apnea or are looking for some ways to ease the symptoms, keep reading to find out why a memory foam pillow could be just the relief you’ve been looking for.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a sleeping disorder which causes sufferers to temporarily stop breathing while they sleep. Common causes of the condition include being overweight, smoking, nasal congestion and the menopause. Due to the nature of the condition, Sleep Apnea can go undiagnosed for long periods of time. This is potentially dangerous and also hugely disruptive to your sleep patterns.
There are two main types of Sleep Apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is often caused by the loosening and relaxing of throat muscles which causes blockages in the throat
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) occurs when the brain doesn’t send the necessary signals and essentially ‘forgets’ to breathe during the night. Sufferers will usually snore heavily and canstop breathing for up to 20 seconds on multiple occasions throughout the night
When your body realises that your oxygen supply has been cut off, you will wake briefly or rise into a really light sleep to restore normal breathing. A constant state of light sleep means that sleep apnoea sufferers don’t get the deep rest they need. This can result in the following symptoms. You are:
- Aware of waking up in the night gasping for air
- Told that you snore during the night, even though you may be unaware of it yourself
- Sweating excessively during the night
- Tired and unable to concentrate during the day
- Lacking in energy and motivation
- Often waking up with a dry mouth
- Easily irritable and grumpy
- Told that you sometimes have breaks in your breathing whilst asleep
- Often waking up with a headache
Can a Memory Foam Pillow Help?
Yes! A memory foam pillow can help Sleep Apnea sufferers. Memory foam supports the natural curve of your neck, helping to keep your airways clear and open and facilitating breathing during the night. In addition, the moulding memory foam reduces pressure on the neck allowing your body to fully relax and rest, and reducing tossing and turning during the night.
At Memory Foam Warehouse, we produce quality memory foam pillows from as little as £28.99! Our range includes cooling memory foam pillows, traditional shaped memory foam pillows and much more. Click here to shop.